Sunday 20 May 2012

Hakka Xi Ban



Been staying in London more then 10 years, very miss the food in Malaysia especially the kuih collection. This xiban (we are calling it pink kuih all the times) is my favourite, oh no is my sister and my niece as well. Then I'm start to searching for this recipes. 

Thanks for Table for 2 or more from Wendy for the recipes. Try the 1st attempt but the colour not nice maybe I'm not knead it properly because of time rushing. But is finished in a second. Requested from my sister I tried the second time....more nicer the taste and colour as well.
But from the recipes they use banana leaf for the parchment, I'm just use normal baking paper because is not easy to get it here but my sister just told me she seeing it today. I will make again next time with banana leaf.




Adapted from: Table for 2 or more
Recipe source : Aunty Yochana


(A) Sponge dough
1 tsp yeast
200gm plain flour
150gm water

(B)
100gm plain flour
150gm glutinous flour
125gm water
125gm sugar
Few drop of red colouring

Some corn oil for rubbing hands

Method

(1) Mix all the ingredients for sponge dough, cover and keep overnight. ( My dough proofing time about 14 hours because the weather here is not as warm in M'sia)
(2) Mix all the ingredients (A) and (B) together into a soft dough and proof for another 4 hours( I did this for 6 hrs).
(3) Divide soft dough into 50gm. each ,rub palm with corn oil (or maybe more if u like more bigger kuih) and place on top of a greased banana leaf. Leave to proof for another 15 minutes.
(4) Steam over moderate heat for 15 min.
(5) Remove from steamer and leave to cool.

Notes: Remember is medium heat, too hot will make the top of kuih crack.
  








2 comments:

  1. Do we need to knead the dough until smooth and elastic like bread dough? Thx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear,
      You must knead the dough till smooth and colour even but not elastic...

      Delete